Saturday, October 18, 2008

Boss' Day

So Thursday (Oct 16) is National Boss' Day. A day when your minions, uh I mean employees are supposed to be happy and celebrate what a great boss you are. Clearly it is just another holiday that Hallmark invented to buy more greeting cards (and there are lots).

I of course did buy a card for my (male) boss. I always do. Remembering silly things somehow is what I'm good at. But in all the almost 10 years that I've been a manager I've never once got a card, a shout out...nothing! It's never really bothered me and I've always made a joke about it. Of course what I realized is that for the majority of the time I've been managing the number of women I had on my team was a whole whopping 1! Yep, that's what happens in the technology field...still!!!

So imagine my surprise when I returned to my office from conducting an interview (with a man of course) to find a beautiful vase of flowers and a balloon from my team. Wanna know why I suddenly got flowers? For the first time I actually have 4 women who directly report to me!!! That made me laugh.

1 comment:

Peanut said...

doesn't say much for men does it? Happy Boss Day to you. I figured I'm the boss of this house but I got nothing. Oh well lol