Friday, September 26, 2008

Fun Fact Friday #15

My sister's name is Joey (hi Joey!) and so as kids she always got anything related to kangaroos. Even today if I see something with a kanagroo on it I have to get it for her. So when I saw this posting on Mental Floss I couldn't resist.

Tony the Tiger beat out several other spokes-animals to become the mascot for Kellogg’s Frosted Flakes. Newt the Gnu and Elmo the Elephant were top contenders, but they never made it into stores. Katy the Kangaroo, however, was displayed right next to Tony. The tiger swiftly clobbered the kangaroo in sales, and Katy was relegated to the bargain bin of history.

Even in the wilds of advertising, a Tiger will always win!

2 comments:

Peanut said...

Ah I like the kangaroo.

Unknown said...

See the Kangaroo is not respected as it should be! This shows it! Another example is Kanga and Roo from Winnie the Pooh. There is a single mother raising her son on her own and she is the least noted character in the 100 acre woods. In fact I know from experience if you go to Disney World you can't find many souvenirs with Kanga on them. Enough said!!!!