Tuesday, September 16, 2008

TV Tuesday: 90210

OK I tried...really I did...honest. I was totally NOT going to watch this show but in a haze of food poisoning with my trusty MacBook and furry pup I curled up on the couch and I caved. So sue me....I enjoyed it!

Yes I was a fan of the original and I think that is why I wasn't too interested about watching the 'new' 90210. Add on top of it all the media hype and the Shannen this and Tori that I was just not interested. But I watched and after just 1 episode I think I'm on the verge of getting seriously hooked. Oh God, please forgive me...

So the premise is pretty much the same as the original...small town brother and sister move to West Bev-er-ly. There are definitely some twists like Dixon, the brother, is adopted and African American (and played by cutie Tristan Wilds of The Wire fame). The sister, Annie is far less brooding that her predecessor Brenda. The Dad is the new principal at West Beverly and has returned to help his aging movie star mother, played deliciously by Jessica Walter (oh how I miss Arrested Development). Oh and Dad also has a connection to Kelly and an illegitimate kid with one of the West Bev parents - whew, that was a lot!

From there you move into the array of new and old faces. There's your mix of evil spoiled brats, jocks, nerds, druggies and outcasts. Sounds like high school to me, right? Returning faces include theatre star (yes, you are supposed to say that with a fake English accent) Brenda; guidance counselor Kelly, in toe with a 4 year old son whose father is mysteriously out of the picture...hmmmm; Kelly's Mom who is still very high maintenance; little Erin (Kelly's baby sis) who is now all grown up and goes by Silver (and falls in the outcast catagory, but I like her); and last but not least the Peach Pit is back with good ol' Nat and boy has the Peach Pit grown up too.

I've only watched the pilot, but I finished wanting more. I'm not exactly sure why I did...I was annoyed by a lot of the new characters, the story lines are kinda predictable, but for me I think it's like driving past an accident on the highway...you know you shouldn't look, but you just can't turn away. If you are into very cheesy, soap-operay, TV, than this is your show!

90210 is on Tuesday's at 8:00pm on the CW. The 2 hour pilot and last week's episode are available online at cwtv.com

2 comments:

Peanut said...

Glad you liked it. I never watched the first one and won't watch this one. But then I can't watch many of these shows since I don't get any network channels just cable ones. :)

Opy - the Original GruffPuppy said...

OMG - join the club :)

Although, I think they should just phase out all the new characters, and bring back all the old ones :)

I am such a sad case !

Brooke