Thursday, September 4, 2008

It's the little things...

OK, OK, I know...'Where the hell have I been'? Well it's been crazy...I think a lot of you know that. So I won't go into details other than to say I'm gonna give this blog thing another shot.

---
What compelled me to finally sit down and post is something cool that happened today...a little background first. I consider myself pretty easy to please - some may actually disagree - but I really think I am. I mean the littlest things make me happy. When my co-worker Jen brings me in a cool notebook from Target, or when my friend Yvette likes some new recipe I made (usually from Rhonda) or when Ruby actually comes to me the first time I call her. It really is the little things...they can keep me going for... like hours.

I bring this up because today I had a monumental 'little thing' that I think might actually take me through till at least next month! I know, imagine that!!!

Today I had to go to a management meeting...urgh. Add on top of that it was billed as 'leadership building'...double urgh. So I wasn't holding too much hope for my day. Well when the agenda came out yesterday I saw that our guest speaker was some dude named Paul Kingsman. Who the heck is Paul Kingsman you might ask? Well of course I Googled him and found that he was an '88 Olympian from New Zealand who won the bronze in the 200m backstroke. The first male individual swimming medal for NZ. Kinda cool...but still, I just knew it was going to be some lame kumbuya session.

Imagine my surprise that it really wasn't. The speaker was totally engaging. Had very relevant examples for what our company was going through. Honestly shared his Olympic experience - which I absolutely ate up being the total Olympic geek that I am. But here is the best part...he brought his bronze medal! And I got to actually hold it!!!! Seriously, I was so excited I could barely contain myself. Lame, I know (can we say 'get a life Michele?')...but seriously, this is going to last me for at the rest of the month...maybe two. Now, imagine if it was a gold medal? Or maybe an Oscar? See, it really is the little things that make me happy!

4 comments:

Ferndoggle said...

That rocks! I totally can relate...I get so jazzed up by the little teeniest things in life that others would think trivial. To hold an actual medal would be amazing!! I got to touch the Stanley Cup once...right after the Pens won in '91 (yes, I'm old) and I thought I was gonna die & go to heaven. I just touched the stupid thing...I really wanted to drink champagne from it...but touching it made my decade! It's the little things...

Glad you're gonna get back to blogging. We've missed you!

Peanut said...

Oh man I would have been excited to. To actually see an Olympic medal would have made my month. Holding one would have lasted me like a whole year.

Unknown said...

First off I didn't know you had a blog so I am sad.

Second I can't believe Sophia's sister doesn't come when you call her yet she is some sorta Boston savant.

Cool about the medal though. I probably couldn't even win one in the "special" olympics!

Anonymous said...

Glad you enjoyed seeing my medal.
It's always fun taking it to talks.
Your comments had me worried for a moment. No kumbaya here :)